Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Wal-Mart: Save Money, Live Better

The day finally came. The day I didn't want to happen. The day I said would NEVER happen. It happened. I have been with Wal-Mart for 5 years now. (Not sure why they put my maiden name on my certificate.) I never thought I would have reached this anniversary. I wasn't supposed to get sucked into the Wal-Mart system. I started as an evening cashier. Just a small job to hold me through the last little bit of college. It was only supposed to last a year-maybe a bit longer. But five years, wow! I remember my first day going in. I could not decide what to wear. What really matches those ugly blue smocks they used to have? I even remember asking my roommate Katie (I hope you remember this Kate) what I should wear and tried on different shirts with the smock.

In just a short time, I was able to move myself up through the company. I always said that I would quit or I would find something better. That pursuit has continuously failed. Five years is a long time. It's been a huge part of my life. The other day I was in my store on my day off (yep, working on my day off) and I heard all my associates doing the Wal-Mart cheer (yep, we have a cheer). For some reason, it brought some sort of comfort to my life. The hours aren't the best-I despise working on Sundays- it gets hard dealing with customers and some associates, and don't even get me started on my store manager. Even though it's not that fun all the time, I've realized that this is where I'm supposed to be. I'm even starting to think about moving up some more-just until Ryan graduates and I get to quit:) We have been truly blessed with this job. Being able to transfer so easily from Utah to Tucson was great. Wal-Mart even paid for the whole move. This is the perfect little set-up that Ryan and I have. Ryan doesn't have to worry about working or debts while he's going through school. He can just concentrate and learn all that he can someday support the family. We have been so lucky. Who would have thought that Wal-Mart could be such a blessing?

4 comments:

Olsen's said...

5 years I know a little sad! I hit the 8 years and then luckily it was my time to leave! Another positive side was that's how we met! Thanks for the cute picture of us when was that? anyways congrats! Oh hey I saw are buddy Kevin yesterday! He's good I was down in American Fork!

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you for sticking with it, and so grateful for the support you give to Ryan. You are both investing in a great future. Love you,
Mommas

Lorflor said...

congrats schuyler! you know ryan, i have been thinking of hitting the arizona sun soon - but it would be to the mesa area. where are you guys again?

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Walmart has treated you well minus a few miniscule things--working 12 hour shifts, holidays, and Sundays. =) That's retail for you though--Walmart retail that is.