Monday, March 10, 2008

Anniversary

I remember the first time I ever hung out with Ryan Whitaker. Ryan and his roommates came over to my apartment to play Skip-bo with my roommates and me. We had an absolute blast as a group and all quickly became friends. One night of games led to many, many more memorable nights and events. The Night of Lists, All Day Movie Day and our weekly trips to Burger Supreme were some of the fun times we had together.

I remember our first trip together. My roommates and Ryan's roommates all went on a camping trip to Capitol Reef in Southern Utah. I don't love camping, but we had such a fun time. Robbie Glazier made us a delicious dinner, our Pixie Sticks got eaten by a raccoon and I drove the bi-polar car. We hiked and we shot guns. The trip was a success and set the right tone for the other trips that Ryan and I enjoyed together.

I remember the first time I ever had an inkling of feelings for Ryan. It was on Halloween in '05-a long time ago, I know. We were at the Bean Museum on BYU Campus with a whole lot of people. We were there to watch Shaun of the Dead on the big screen. Ryan was up fiddling around with the movie plugs and I was just down in the seats with my roomies and friends. I remember thinking-"I hope Ryan sits by me." Then I was weirded out and didn't think about it anymore. He did sit by me.


I remember the night Ryan and I started dating. We were in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Ryan and I went for a walk on the beach on our last night there. We ended up sitting on a pier over the ocean and talking. The conversation lagged, so I asked him what he was thinking about. He just chuckled and said "nothing." More time passed and he said "do you want to know what I was thinking about?" He proceeded to share his feelings for me and told me he wanted to date me. Then he shocked me by asking if he could kiss me...

I remember when Ryan proposed. It was his birthday. We were sitting in my bedroom waiting for our friends to come over to eat cake and ice cream. While we were waiting, he opened his presents from me. After he finished, he said, "I've got a present for you." That was when he pulled my ring out of his pocket and proposed. I knew he would propose eventually, but for some reason, I was still surprised when it actually happened.


I remember one year ago today. Our wedding day. The happiest day of our lives. The day I married my best friend. The day all our many memories came together. I can't believe it's been a year. It's been a great year. We absolutely love marriage and couldn't ask for more. I can't wait to create so many more memories with my husband and best friend.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

So sweet! I remember telling Ryan over and over again that he should just date you! I'm so glad he finally listened!

Heather said...

Congrats on your first year together! When I got married, everyone kept telling us to just make it through the first year and how the first year was the hardest - but we had so much fun being married, that advice never made any sense. It seems like that with you guys, too - you two just seem to be having a blast! Happy anniversary!

Olsen's said...

Very cute story! You guys look so cute together and I can't believe it's been a year already time fly when your having fun! Congrats on 1 year!

Scott and Alison said...

I can't believe it's already been a year! Wow! It doesn't seem like that long ago we were driving to your reception! Time sure seems to be speeding up these days.

I agree with Heather, that whole "the first year is the hardest" advice didn't make sense for us either. Being married is amazing!

Congrats again!

taylor and laney said...

congrats ryan! isn't being married just the greatest.

Megs said...

Good times, thanks for the walk down memory lane. I still remember the night that we were sitting on your couches and I asked you who was your favorite girl person in the whole world, family excluded and you said your best friend from home and then I asked who your favorite boy person was and...well we know the rest. You guys look like you're doing so well, I am so happy for you. I promise to blog more!

Swa said...

Oh my gosh! I cant believe its been a year! That means I've been home for a year now too! That was my very first wedding I had ever been to, so thank you! Love you guys!

The Davies Family said...

Cute story! It was great to learn more about you two. Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I love that, Schoop! I'm so happy that I got to be a part of so much of it--All day movie day, camping, Boston, NY, Mexico. I even remember that Halloween night, although I was hoping Robbie would sit by me. He did. We miss you guys and hope to see you soon.