Saturday, March 29, 2008

100 Things About Me (Ryan)

I thought that I would parenthetically indicate that this is me (Ryan) typing. This is my first foray into the world of blogging. I hope I don't embarrass myself. But if I do, who cares? Only like 13 people look at this blog anyway.
I am also unashamed to say that I stole the idea for this blog from my sister, Rachel. If you want to read her list (and you probably should) you can click on her link on the sidebar. Anyway, here we go: 100 things about me!

1. I care WAY too much about BYU football

2. One of my greatest fears is that I will not be able to support my family

3. I was always nervous about the prospect of marriage, but getting married was the best decision I ever made

4. My good friend Steve got me into kung-fu/Hong Kong cinema. Some of my favorite movies of that genre include Shaolin Soccer, To Live, God of Cookery, and Hero

5. I like most vegetables, but I don't like peas

6. I always got along great with my siblings, but one time I got in a fight with my brother over a nintendo game (I punched him and he kicked me in the back)

7. I hate being late
8. I've never said a "swear word." At least not on purpose. Or out loud

9. TV shows that my wife and I record on our DVR: The Office, Heroes, Rob and Big, American Idol, The Biggest Loser, Dancing with the Stars, The Hills, and America's Next Top Model.

10. I'm not as embarrassed by the above list as I should be

11. Here's something I AM embarrassed about: the only concerts I have ever been to were Huey Lewis and the News, Peter Breinholt, Kirby Heyborne, and the last few songs of a free Diamond Rio gig

12. I have always been insecure about my height

13. The magazines that we subscribe to at my house include the Ensign, Newsweek, and GQ (accidentally)

14. I served a mission to the Philippines

15. I speak two languages: English (fluently) and Tagalog (balubaluktot na)

16. The last CD I bought (or rather that my wife bought for me) was Gnarls Barkley's The Odd Couple

17. Air-headed people REALLY annoy me

18. I would rather be hot than cold

19. I once read the entire Book of Mormon in two days

20. I care deeply about what other people think of me


21. I have been to the Taj Mahal

22. I have seen Mount Everest with my own eyes

23. I am too much of a perfectionist

24. I get nervous every Monday and Friday (the days I work in a local private-practice hearing clinic)

25. The first movie that ever made me cry was Edward Scissorhands


26. I prefer having a few really close friends to having a large number of casual friends

27. I've always felt that I was the ugliest of my siblings

28. Making big decisions is very hard for me

29. I liked the flowers I bought for Schuyler better than she liked them (I would check them every day to see if a new one bloomed!)

30. I secretly like that new Miley Cyrus song (I st-st-stuttered and...)


31. I like Letterman better than Leno

32. My first kiss was on a beach in Mexico under a full moon

33. Ever since I was a little boy, I've been fascinated by reptiles

34. I get a high from public speaking/teaching

35. I don't really like carbonation

36. I am terrified of running out of gas in the middle of nowhere

37. Before marriage, I never talked baby-talk to my wife. After marriage, I do it all the time

38. I like rice WAY more than potatoes

39. I am officially certified to remove earwax

40. I'm kind of a movie snob

41. I have a hard time spending money (must be a Whitaker thing, Rach) -- even on necessities

42. I'm proud of the tan line I get on my feet

43. I prefer salty snacks to sweets

44. I eat cereal almost every morning for breakfast

45. I get embarrassed if my fingernails are too long (i.e. showing ANY white)

46. I despise running. I'd much rather lift weights.

47. I broke my ankle in high school showing off for some girls

48. I need SILENCE when I'm studying

49. A dream of mine would be to someday travel the world with my wife

50. I love to hike

51. Since beginning my graduate studies in audiology, I find myself checking out people's ears


52. I wish I could do a Pee-Wee Herman laugh as well as my brother-in-law Troy (or even as well as my brother Richie)

53. I am uncommonly bad at ice skating
54. While getting my hair cut last week, I was told that I have a "really expensive hair color to re-create"

55. I hate coaxing Schuyler off the couch every night to get ready for bed


56. I have a lot of fun karaoke-ing, but I do it way too loud

57. I feel like I make bad first impressions

58. I was recently asked by an old man at Safeway if I was my classmates' son ("is this your boy?" he asked Dan)

59. An old lady at the hearing clinic told me yesterday that my pants were too long and needed to be hemmed

60. I am a rule-follower

61. I easily get upset while trying to assemble furniture

62. I sometimes think swearing is funny

63. I was surprised how sad I was when I heard in January that our family dog, Kaipo, had died

64. I won my school spelling bee in elementary school

65. I have a small collection of pocket knives and swords

66. Apparently I follow my wife around the house like a puppy dog

67. I was so mad when Michigan's Fab 5 lost in the National Championship game (I was like in 4th or 5th grade at the time) that I threw my balled-up socks at the TV which caused the homemade craft sitting atop the TV to fall off and break


68. I believe the loudest I have ever yelled was after the Beck to Harline "answered prayer" in 2006

69. Going out to eat always makes me happy

70. "Your dentist's name is Crentist?" always makes me laugh


71. In 5 years I hope to be successfully practicing audiology with one (MAYBE two) kids

72. Schuyler was scared that I wouldn't cry on our wedding day. Well, I cried like a baby and she barely shed a tear

73. I was 11 years old when my daddy died

74. I come from a family of cartoonists

75. I have always assumed that, like most Whitakers, I will either live forever or die of cancer

76. When standing at the foot of the bed, I sleep on the left side and Schuyler sleeps on the right

77. I'm constantly worrying that I'm letting people down

78. I get along great with nerds

79. Watching Oprah usually makes me mad

80. I LOVE to go to the zoo

81. Most of my shirts have the color blue in them

82. I'm not really superstitious, except when it comes to the shirt I'm wearing on BYU's game day

83. I'm excited by the prospect of a Barack Obama presidency

84. I take pleasure in staying up-to-date on current events

85. I enjoy cooking -- especially with my wife

86. This past Halloween, Schuyler and I won a prize for our costume. I was Senator Larry Craig and she was a bathroom stall

87. I keep all of my spiral-bound notebooks from college (I might need that stuff someday!)

88. I like to sleep on top of the covers

89. I once wrote in my journal, as a kid, that my elementary school was lucky to have me

90. I have always been self-conscious about my teeth

91. I got my first cell phone a year and a half ago

92. I teach Sunday School in my ward to the 15 and 16 year olds

93. I don't like to be barefoot

94. My thesis project is on finding a neurophysiologic correlate of categorical perception using cortical evoked potentials (namely, the acoustic change complex)

95. I once participated in an all-day movie day with my friends

96. One of my best friends married one of Schuyler's best friends

97. I hate chewing gum because my jaw is funky (TMJ problems, I think)

98. I graduated Summa Cum Laude from BYU

99. My wife thinks I have a man-crush on David Beckham

100. I'm tired of looking like a teenager. Maybe someday I'll grow up...

9 comments:

Swa said...

Way to go Ryan! I was even laughing out loud in a couple of parts! Certified earwax remover eh? Almost as good as me for being a certified old people bather.

Anonymous said...

Hey there, cos. Cous? Anyway, I heard you read my blog so I came to visit yours. Entertaining and enlightening post--I only knew a very few of those things, and I have a few responses:

1. Looking young comes in very handy once you're approaching forty (people still mistake me for a student at school sometimes, and at 33, I get carded, but still! I don't have to worry about wrinkles!)

2. Being short will save you back trouble from bending over to look inside ears (just ask my pa.)

3. I have always admired your teeth. And the teeth of your siblings. So pearly.

And now, a question: would you have let the kid have the salamander?

Jord said...

Good stuff Ryan. I have to say that even though I've known you since the 7th grade, I didn't know a lot of that stuff about you. Like you being self conscious about your height and caring about what other people think. You've always seemed to be confident, successful, and self-assured to me, but I'm glad to know that my friends have their insecurities too. I am proud (though I probably should feel sorry) to say I can remember seeing you jump of the balcony and brake your ankle and that any kung fu movies I've seen have been with you and the boys. I agree, a few close friends is the best way to go!

Jord said...

But Barack....I didn't think you'd fall so easily for political rhetoric.

Rachel said...

I'm glad you stole my idea. It was fun to read those things about you. What craft on the TV did you break? I wasn't aware of that one. By the way, you are not the ugliest sibling! We are all beautiful (ha ha ha!)

Anonymous said...

I loved reading the blog. Some made me laugh. One almost made me cry. I think you are one of the most amazing people I know. I have a picture of us on top of Timp that I see everyday and I rejoice in you. Thank you for being my son. - Mom

Kent and Leisy said...

kent and I LOVE america's next top model.

Lorflor said...

RYaN! I ADoReD this post!! ha ha - so fun. I am so glad we can all keep tabs on each other it's so fun. and yes - i remember when you broke your ankle. so funny.

The Davies Family said...

That was really cool to learn all that stuff about you..you forgot a few things..like you were the 'voice' of Orem Junior High. Oh well, next list huh? No worries. I kind of secretly like that Miley Cyrus song too. Way cool you've been to the Taj Mahal and seen Everest..I think I've seen those too..yeah on a mini golf course somewhere.haha Good stuff