Friday, September 5, 2008

Will it Ever End?

I am so frustrated. I'm so angry I just can't help but cry. I really want to punch something or throw something, but that would hurt me or something else. I am so sick of car problems. I honestly didn't think so many things could go wrong with cars in such a short period of time.
Around 4 weeks ago, Ryan's truck started having a hard time shifting and getting into gear. We took it in to get it checked out and after a few separate trips of it not performing right and more money then we had hoped, it got fixed. Perfect. It ran like a champ. We went on with our lives as usual. Car problems randomly happen, right? Not so much...
Two weeks ago, on Ryan's first day of school, he got into a fender bender. He was stopped at a red light and felt a big bump from behind. It turns out that some lady, who claims she doesn't know what happened, rammed into the guy behind Ryan, who rammed into our little truck. Luckily, no one was hurt, but the truck's bumper got pushed down. Thank goodness this lady had insurance and we don't have to pay for the repairs.
This was taken before the accident
At the beginning of this week, Ryan was using my car to transport family to the airport-all the way across town. All of a sudden, my car started making noises and smelling like something was burning. Ryan and our brother-in-law Troy figured it was the air conditioning. They turned off the air and it ran well after that. Pretty much, my air conditioning (which was fixed in July) blew out on them. Bye bye air conditioning.

Later the same day, I was driving home for lunch. I was going about 50-55 mph on one of the main roads here in town. I was only driving for a few minutes when the hood of my car popped open and flew back into my windshield. It made the loudest noise and scared me to death. I pulled over as quickly and as safely as possible. I was lucky enough to not have any cars around me when this happened. We had to tow my car down to an autobody shop and it will be there until next friday at the earliest.

This is the best shot. You can see the shattered windshield and the hood of my car all bent up
Now for the kicker... Last night Ryan picked me up from work. We went out to his car and it wouldn't start. It would not turn over at all. We tried jumping it, we tried popping the clutch and nothing worked. The battery was fine, it just would not start. We figured it was the starter. I had it towed to a mechanic this morning. I just recently got a call from the repair shop telling me it would cost almost $500 to fix the starter. I knew immediately that it does not cost that much to fix. I called around and did some research on what starters cost and called the mechanic back. He dropped the price to almost half of his original quote. Thank you very much. I was not in the mood to deal with him trying to cheat me out of my money. Especially after what has happened to us in the last month. Hopefully we'll get his car back soon. We need at least one car.
The sad thing is, right before my hood flew up, I told Ryan I was done paying for car issues... I should have bit my tongue.

15 comments:

Beth said...

That is the worst luck! I am so sorry for you guys! I HATE spending money on cars, it just seems pointless to me; even though it's inevitable and necessary. Good luck for the future!

Holly said...

Oh what a awful chain of car problems! And the hood flying open is just scary! I am so glad you were able to pull over safely! Cr problems really stink since it effects so many things- worst of all the budget. If you want I can share some disgusting public transportation stories that will make you glad you have your own personal vehicle. Just kidding. I know that won't do anything to solve car problems...

Rachel said...

I'm sorry for all the car trouble. I would be crying too. I hate car problems mainly because they are so expensive! Good luck. I hope nothing else goes wrong for a long time. It was so fun to stay with you guys. We need to see you again soon! Thanks so much!

Moeller Family said...

Doesn't it stink that we depend on cars so much? And they cost too much money. Sorry to hear about all of your car problems! Hopefully this meets your quota for a long time! Way to stand up for yourself with the mechanic and starter issue- that's awesome!

Scott and Alison said...

Oh man. I so know how you feel. But not quite to the extremes!! That would have freaked me out to see my hood fly up into my windshield!! You're so brave! I hope the car issues get better for you guys!!

Mommas said...

Oh, Schuyler, I am so sorry! I know that after Ryan's Dad passed away one of the things I hated and feared the most was car problems. I HATE THEM! And to have so many serious problems in such a short time period is horrible. What I am thankful for is that throughout all of this you are both safe and no one was ever hurt. I love you both!

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for missing your call last night if it was to help out. Car problems are fun. I envy y'all for having all the fun with cars :)

Eldredge's said...

That is awful. Sorry you are having so many car issues. We had a car we were fixing every month and I hated it. Hopefully all the bad luck will end soon!

Swa said...

When it rains it pours, huh? It always seems to be that way especially with money and stupid expenses that no one wants to pay. I feel for ya! Love ya!

Unknown said...

I SWEAR when it rains it pours! When something goes wrong, don't expect it to be over...something else always seems to follow. I didn't know about your AIR! Holy cow! What you gonna do about that?

Unknown said...

Oops looks like I said the same thing Sarah Jane said. Guess we both have great brains!

Olsen's said...

ScArY!!! Oh my your winshield how scary! I'm so glad your okay and did't get hurt! And for alllll the other problems that sucks! I hope you have better luck with your cars! And Oh I hate the way mechanics can rip us of and probably most of the time they get away with it! Good luck!

Jord said...

I am so sorry for the car break downs! That totally stinks and I also hate paying for car repairs! They seem like such a waste of money.

Schofields said...

Oi! We're pulling for you... and your cars, wallet, insurance company, etc.!

Diane

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Schuyler but I'm glad I found your blog. Hope everything else is going well for you and Ryan.