Sunday, July 6, 2008

Ode to Tucson

I know I haven't been very kind to Tucson since I moved here. It's just never quite felt like home to me and I know we're not here permanently. I think it's time for me to appreciate Tucson for the city it is. So here are a few things I like about Tucson...

1. Weather- When I told people I was moving here, the first thing I heard was "it's so hot down there." (Orem, Utah was the same temp as Tucson was last week). Here's the deal. Yes, it is hot. I have felt the heat. I won't deny that it's hot. But 8 months out of the year, it's perfect. If you can handle a few months of "hotness," it's worth those 8 months of bliss. I also have to say that once it gets to 100 degrees-it's hot. I'm sorry to say that I can't tell the difference between 100 and 110. It's just all around hot.
We also can't forget the fact that it is almost always sunny. We see blue skies about 95% of the year. Just think how fun it is to wake up to blue skies and knowing it's going to be a nice sun shiny day. Imagine that happening almost every single day. It's very uplifting. As an added bonus, we get to experience Monsoon Season. It comes in July/August and really cools down the summer heat. We get amazing thunderstorms at night that are accompanied by an enormous downpour. This makes it a little more humid, but not unbearable.


2. Wildlife- This category is a little surprising coming from me, seeing as how I don't love animals. However, we have some super fun wildlife down here. Ryan and I love to go for walks and see all the little creatures running around. We do have a lot of birds-not something I enjoy. We often see quail-which I had never seen before moving here. They sound like Tickle Me Elmo. It's too weird. I do love to see the lizards though. There are always a ton scurrying around and running away from you. When they get mad and they try to be intimidating, they do little push-ups. The other day, one poor lizard fell into the pool. I didn't know what to do and I tried to put my towel in the water for him to grab onto, but he wasn't having it. He got sucked into the drain on the side-I still feel bad about it. We just discovered a new little Gecko running around at night. They blend in so well with their surroundings that they look see-through. We also have a million cottontail rabbits running around. They are everywhere. The two coolest animals that we've seen around the apartment are roadrunners and coyotes. I haven't seen a roadrunner for a while, but they are cool looking birds. They might be on the birds I like list-which consists only of Penguins. Coyotes are even cooler. Whenever I drive home at night I search to see if I can spot one. One night we were driving down the street and one ran in front of the car with some sort of animal in it's mouth. I've seen a small pack run across the street in the morning on my way to work. It's so fun to experience.


3. Pools- The pools are open year round. They're heated in the winter and they're refreshing in the summer. It's so fun that the option to go swimming is always there. I especially love the spring time when it's the perfect temp and laying out isn't so unbearable. I also love going for a run, changing into my swimsuit and cooling off in the pool. It's so relaxing.


The one last thing I love about Tucson, is that we don't have to experience this...


This is Ryan and my brother Jeff cleaning up my parents' flooding bathroom at 2 AM.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd have to agree with you about the likes of Tucson! But I am a little jealous that you guys have seen so many creatures! The only little creatures I usually see are bugs and spiders. YUCK!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Tucson doesn't sound so bad. . . if you like Iraq! Just kidding. It does sound pretty nice. All the pools make me nervous though, just call me paranoid!

Mommas said...

I loved reading this blog! I am glad that you do enjoy some of Tucson's benefits. Every once in a while, when it is really cold in Rexburg, I wish I lived in Arizona. I have always thought the desert has a unique beauty which I love. Of course the best thing about living in Arizona, at least right now, would be that YOU are there! See you soon!

Chad said...

It sounds like Tucson wins over Vegas. We have the pools but little to no wild life, orange night skies with no stars, a light monsoon season (because tucson steals all the rain before it gets to us) and way too many people. Just be glad you aren't in Vegas. Hope you guys are doing well. Have fun.

Schofields said...

Oh my gosh... I've gotta check blogs more often! You guys must have been SO tired in Nauvoo!! It flooded on us several times too but never at 2 AM!!
Thanks again for coming!
:)Diane

Molly said...

Hey Ryan - This is Molly, I saw your comment on Jake & Aprils Blog and thought I would click over. That's cool that you are still in Tucson. I love Tucson!!! Have you guys hiked out to the 7 falls yet? It is so pretty - a great day trip. There are so many good restaurants too. Have you been to the Gaslight Theater? That was one of my favorite places to go. We just moved to Georgia - Yeah, that's a new experience. Feel free to check out our blog.