Sunday, June 15, 2008

Wanna See Where I'm From?

This last week we were in Cedar Rapids, Iowa visiting my family! It was a blast, but if you've been watching the news-it hasn't been too safe. It was declared a disaster area due to flooding. We were amazed by how high the waters were and the damage that it is causing. Luckily, the water is receding right now, but it is still such a tragedy. We took some pictures of downtown Cedar Rapids. We drove through it more than we should have while we were there, but we were able to get many pictures. Try to click on them to get a closer view.

This is downtown Cedar Rapids where
the Cedar River is

I've eaten at this DQ many a time-not so much anymore, do you notice the dumpster floating next to it?

If you look closely, you can see the DQ sign...that's how high the water was.

This is a random street we came across while trying to avoid the traffic on the partially closed freeway-this was a dead end too... If you look very very closely, you might be able to see a little stop sign on the right to judge how high the water was.

Luckily, my parents don't live close to the flooding and have been safe from it all. Thank you Heather for your concern. They've been getting millions of phone calls from friends and family to see if they are ok. They are just experiencing some inconveniences. They've been asked to conserve water and to limit shower usage, flushing and anything else requiring water.

7 comments:

Mommas said...

Wow! I an so glad all is well with your family! What an adventure for all of you.

Rachel said...

I'm glad your family is safe and I'm glad you and Ryan had a good time. I love Nauvoo and I can't wait to go back someday!

Jacki said...

That is so sad Schuyler.

Scott and Alison said...

That is UNREAL! I'd been watching the news and thinking about your parents and wondering if they were affected by it. I had no idea it was THAT bad!! WOW. I am SO SO SO glad your parents didn't have to deal with that, but it's sad for all the people that do. This world just seems to be full of surprises, eh?

Sorry to combine 2 comments into one, but it's just how I roll. I think it is AWESOME about your brother's family adopting from Haiti!!! They are doing an amazing thing! It just makes me that much more excited to be adopting!

Well tell your parents hello for me and that I'm happy they are safe!!!

Moeller Family said...

I love the new look of your blog! We've had the link to your blog on our site for a while, but since it's private, we haven't invited you yet- that's sad, huh? :) My email is: nursingroxs@yahoo.com. If you send me your email, we'll invite you to ours! Looks like you guys have been busy. You guys are a cute couple!

Jord said...

Crazy pictures! You guys really did see the worst of it and I'm glad your parent's home was all right. It was fun to see you guys and we can't wait to get together soon!

Rachel said...

Hey Ryan- in answer to your questions:

The carpet is everywhere except the basement. We did the stairs going down to the basement, but not the basement itself.

Yes! Everyone must remove shoes upon entering. Though I did pick a dark color to hide any dirt that may be tracked in.

And, you can come see this new carpet in person ANYTIME you can take a few days and get out this way (do it soon!)