Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sick, Sick, Sick

Well, it's going around. It's going around bad. I'm sick. Not only am I sick, this is the second time in the last month. The third time since December. I usually only get sick once a year. I have no clue what is going on. Except, pretty sure that every single person that I work with has had it at one point or another. There's pneumonia, bronchitis and the flu going around my store. I only have the average cold. That's not even the kind of sick that you can call into work and feel justified (justified, wink, wink Katie). Instead, you have to go into work because you can actually do your job. It just doesn't sound fun and you don't feel like it. (This often happens even if I'm not sick, but it's worse when I am).

I've realized that it's worse when you're a manager and you don't feel well. As a manager, I have to be an example. If I don't feel good, work still has to get done. Lots of work. In a grocery store, you are often going in and out of coolers and freezers daily. I HAVE to do this. But my poor little associates don't. If they have one little sniffle, they refuse to go do the cold work. Can I really just say, too bad? I mean, let's face it. Most of these people tend to be older. I don't want to kill them off by sending them back to stock the milk.

It makes me realize what babies people are when they don't feel well. (I'm demonstrating this right now.) They just look at you like they're miserable, telling you their throat hurts or coughing as soon as you walk around the corner. I know they want my sympathy and I know they want me to say, "Go home and get rest." Instead I think, deal with it and go get the carts out of the parking lot. And after that, I need you to cashier, pull 2000 lb pallets out of the backroom and stock the bananas. Because that's what I have to do, plus a whole list more... and deal with your whining. I'm not going to give much sympathy when I feel the same way.

This never brings much satisfaction either. Chances are, they'll just call in the next day (and the next so they can actually use their sick pay). Plus, they infect everyone else around us. I do love getting those call-ins when I sound sick. It's almost like a smack in the face. The whole time I'm thinking..."I'm working when I don't feel well... why don't you... I need you here. But that's fine, get rest and relax all day while I do your work and mine. Which means, no lunch and home way later than planned."

Wal-Mart, you gotta love it:)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Sorry to hear you are sick! I hate being sick, and I hate it even more now that I have kids. I still have to cook, clean, and i can't lay down no matter what (unless Troy happens to be home!)BTW, I looked all over my project playlist account and I can't figure out how to change anything either. Hope you feel better soon. xoxo

Jord said...

Thanks for the link to your blog! Even though you guys are just a few hours away, it is good to find out about what you're up to. I'm sorry you have the sickness- I swear it is traveling the state and hopefully it doesn't last for weeks. We (Jake) is so excited about DirectTV getting the mountain and has plans to get a flat screen for our game watching enjoyment....you're welcome any time!

Olsen's said...

So sad that you are sick and keep getting sick! That's no fun. I love not working in personnel anymore because I don't get sick as much as I use to. Before I got what everyone and their dog had. Oh yeah I changed my hair color last October! MY natural is a light brown so I'm slowly letting it grow in. Feel better. Miss you too!